For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 30 August 2010

From Brora (Scotland-east coast)

On Friday I moved from Ardmair to Brora on the east coast. The drive took me past  Oykle Bridge Hotel where I had taken refreshment on my Land's End John o' Groats walk, so I stopped and had a nostalgic sandwich and pot of tea.
Yesterday (Saturday) I walked from the Caravan Club site over a moorland path to Loch Brora and then completed the circuit of the loch following a track on the southern shore. I plotted the route on Memory Map which gave a total of 18 miles and I had taken 6 hours and 20 mins. which gives an average speed of approximately 2.9 mph. I stopped once for about 15 mins. to nibble and drink coffee so my walking speed must have been over 3 mph.
Today (Sunday) I walked into Brora on the beach and then back over the links golf course taking half an hour each way. I am heading for home tomorrow
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Why have I never explained my failure as a rock-climber with a variant of your self-defence, a couple of posts back: an excess of imagination. Leading to such stuff as: "J made heavy weather of leading the crux on Oliverson's allowing me, as second, to come up with an absolutely exquisite villanelle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get your drift but my imagination explores what if scenarios: what if the belay doesn't hold,
    what if the rope breaks etc., and I get mental images of falling, and then thinking of all the resulting implications. Part of climbing is learning how to supress such thoughts to enable pragmatic consideration of the immediate problems, and I was able to achieve this to some
    extent, but not enough to be a good leader. However, I believe that learning such self control can have advantages in many other situations

    ReplyDelete