For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 25 February 2011

Fife Coastal Path

The Fife Coastal Path starts from North Queensferry and finishes at Newport-on-Tay linking the coast between The Firth of Forth and The Forth of Tay. Different web sites give different total distance, but there is some consensus on 82 miles.
I have booked a rail ticket from Arnside to North Queensferry for  29th March.  This will be a valuable first backpacking trip of the year staying close to civilisation whilst providing apparently attractive walking - it should take less than a week, allowing me to make any required fine tuning before my Welsh border walk starting on 20th. April.
The route includes a short section called The Chain Walk utilising a series of chains and ladders fixed to the rocks. Due notice has to be taken of  tides.
Other than printing the OS 1:50000 map onto sheets of A4 I have made little other preparation.

4 comments:

  1. I fear The Chain Walk sounds like something penal. The Italians do it with rather more style (perhaps the only thing they do with any style at the moment) with their Via ferrata. Actually, I'm guessing; I've never Googled or knowingly translated that phrase. Perhaps it's a form of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy this, Sir Hugh. The East Neuk of Fife will be particularly enjoyable I think. I'm not sure we'll be at home during your trip otherwise we'd come and say 'hello'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have to be back for the wall and joints - we may have to start without you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BB - Yes I was aware of VFs. They originated in the Italian Alps during one of the world wars when they were constructed to aid troop movements. It's difficult to believe that they were fighting in that terrain. The structures were then used by climbers for their recreation, and nowadays a whole adventure tourist industry has been created. I hope the original metal work has been replaced. I reckon it translates as "iron way".

    Afoot - It would have been agreeable to meet up - if you do get the chance give me a call - you can email me and I would receive it on my iPhone (conrob@me.com). I am not sure which is East Neuk of Fife, but I will Google it and make sure I don't miss it.

    Gimmer - Worry not. If I can't do 82 miles in 9.5 days it's time to pack up.

    ReplyDelete