For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 25 May 2023

Gargrave Pennine Way and Leeds iverpool Canal

Wednesday 24th May 2023 - Gargrave

My last walk of any significance was back in September. Since then walking has been local and short with the objective of me monitoring my breathlessness rather than the pleasure of going for a walk in its own right. The fact that I have now ventured on five miles plus away from my home territory is not an indication of miraculous recovery from my breathlessness,  but just rebellion at being restricted. 

This route was carefully selected for its mainly level terrain, and its more or less new territory for me. I did walk the Pennine Way part in 1987 south to north, but I had no recollection whatsoever of this part of the route today  in the opposite direction. I was pleased to note that the paths seem to be quite unspoiled and the PW retains its place for me as the best LDP in England.

Crossing the River Aire in Gargrave a few metres from my car



Leaving Gargrave. Turn off left onto Pennine way just beyond red car

Back to Gargrave church

South towards Skipton

Unspoilt easy walking on the Pennine Way



It wouldn't be ConradWalks without a bit of that orange hairy string.
Many of the stiles are still in situ but with the addition of a modest metal gate - no yellow catches!

Zoom to two guys who had just passed me, as do most these days. Pendle Hill in the distance


Returning now via the Leeds Liverpool Canal


Not going quite that far today




Not sure if this was named after Thelonious Monk - I listened to a lot of jazz in my fomative years, Monk was ahead of his time -  one of the greatest ever jazz piano guys





One ancient tractor and an an ancient-ancient one

If I get back to Photoshop painting this appeals to me as a possible subject.
Note the licence disc top right and see below


A good chat with this proud horse owner. She told me that she was letting here Welsh Cob feed on the lush verge of grass and wild flowers because  they contain many nutrients beneficial for horses. She owned the adjacent farm and was taking Horse back to have a groom and then for her to have a ride.  A pleasant meeting along my way.

One of several locks as I lost height back to Gargrave



Where the towpath switches sides,  a good example of attractive canal architecture. Just afer the photo a farmer appeared on a quad bike and set off down the cobbled path as I followed. He got stuck on the bend and had to manoeuvre with some difficulty using reverse gear and limited steering lock.


Start and finish at Gargrave.  5.4 miles,  34 0ft. of ascent. I was surprised at the measure of ascent. There were two short sections where I had to plod oh so slowly, but the rest of the ascent must have been imperceptibly gradual. 

Even though I still struggle with the breathlessness it was oh so good to be out exploring again and enjoying walking for its own sake.





5 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber25 May 2023 at 19:47

    Impressive playing from a young looking Monk. Impressive walk from a youthful Sir Hugh. So good to see you on a 'proper' walk. You chose to be in Yorkshire which is understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Conrad The Rebel, good to see you on a proper walk. I hope the consultation goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BC and Phreerunner - Thanks for your comments. Blogging seems to be drying up on me. I did a more extended walk yesterday (Tuesday) blog post is WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you've now been for another 'further afield' walk (you may have noticed, I'm having a bit of a catch-up on blog reading, having only skimmed whilst we were away in May), but I was really pleased to see that you'd been able to go and do this walk.

    Similar to your lack of memory of that section of the Pennine Way, during our recent outings on the trail, I found that I had absolutely no recollection of a couple of significant sections either side of Cowling, even though I'm pretty sure I've covered them three times before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle - I've just made a similar observation on Beating the Bounds about two Munros they climbed recently.

    ReplyDelete