For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 7 May 2023

Signpost oddity

 Thursday 4th May 2023 - Lindale Fell Road

On my Thursday walks with Pete we have covered the fell road from Lindale going north on several occasions - it is a favourite. Today at the crossroads shown on the map below we took note of the signpost pointing in four directions. I think these generic posts are cast iron and are everywhere in the UK and established at the very least more than fifty years ago.

"Witherslack" is pointing to Lindale

" Lindale" is pointing to Witherslack

""Cartmel" is pointing to High Newton

"High Newton is pointing to Cartmel

This cannot have occurred by turning the sign bodily, which in any case would not be easy as they are  securely embedded. The individual finger signs must just have been placed incorrectly, but when? The sign has been there for years and one would think that if the error had occurred at the time of installation it would have been corrected years ago.

Another of life's great mysteries.


PLEASE CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The WW2 British Quad Gun Tractor is now finished, but I hope to make it the main part in a desert terrain diorama so it has been "weathered" appropriately with dust and sand. Thee will also be a Willis Jeep in the scene and that is now under construction.

The Quad kit came with its 25 pounder field  gun which I may make up later.









11 comments:

  1. Love the jabberwocky road sign at Lindell—
    the perfect perversity of it and the fact that
    no one has ever corrected it.
    It’s Willys, not Willis—you probably know that

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC - I must have walked and driven past that sign over a dozen times without noticing. Long may we all continue to "gyre and gimble."

    Thanks for the correction, my excuse as always: a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting signpost and a great bit of modeling, Conrad. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. clearly a more advanced version of the WWII policy of removing them - not just letting them not know where they are but deliberately leading them into a trap
    the simpler explanation is that when he posts are taken down for repair and refurbishment, the serrated ferrules on the arms were simply misaligned - clearly an example of lib-dem council competence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phreerunner - This model has been the most enjoyable I have done so far. This is a Tamiya kit and they have the best reputation for quality. Detail is sharply defined and everything fits well together. They will create proper engineered joints where many others just leave you to a less precise butt join, I went a bit wild with the weathering but I think it will eventually fit well into the scene I am planning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gimmer - I'm pretty sure the same workmen would be doing the job regardless of which party was in power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my friends (yes, there are) has a favourite saying about her council in inner northwest london (no names for fear of the local 'persuaders') - 'a fish rots from the head down' - my equivalent is 'knowledge dies: ignorance pullulates'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say "pullulates" ascribes too much activity to ignorance. True ignorance (as opposed to the phenomenon based on seemingly wilful distortion) is mainly synonymous with inertia, the awfulness of a gaping hole and capable of being filled with any old junk.. A passivity that passes all understanding. This may explain why ignorance seems to be a rich furrow for conspiracy theories; ignorance is most content in the presence of more ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'll have to think about that - I was referring to its propensity to multiply unchecked - in the absence of any learning and the ideal of holy bliss.
    see wot i meem ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of the final day of the TGO Challenge in 2019, I made this footnote about a series of three road signs I'd passed on my way to Montrose:
    "During those 8ish miles I managed to cover, according to the road signs, 3 miles in 20 minutes. Three road signs in the space of a mile reported the distance to Montrose as 9, 7 and 6 miles. My measurement concurred only with the last sign (which came only a few hundred yards after the 7 mile marker). The 9 mile one was so far out that I wonder how it has never been challenged and changed."

    The last sentence is the key one, that ties into your erroneous set of fingerposts. Perhaps the answer is that the locals know the signs are wrong, but don't need them, so don't complain, and visitors who do need them assume someone local is bound to make the relevant authority aware of the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gayle - Having passed by again a couple of more times recently the sifgn has now been rectified. I think the arms for each destination must swivel?

    ReplyDelete