For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 21 May 2023

Jeep

 Sunday 21st May 2023

I have been walking my 1.4 miles daily now for several weeks  - breathlessness continues with  slight improvement, and for certain it isn't getting worse.

Last time I saw a GP was on 28th March when I was referred to Cardiology at the hospital.  They have now given me a "Video Consultation Appointment" on 14th June - goodness knows how that will work? I also have a Lung Function Test scheduled with the GP for  22nd. June So I battle on, but I feel I need to rattle some cages. We shall see.

I have it in mind to go for some short walks further afield, perhaps two or three miles on flattish ground, maybe incorporating some canal paths - I hunger for seeing some new scenery, although I do not take for granted the splendid surroundings of my home domain.

********************************************

My Jeep is completed to go along with my WW2 British Quad Gun Tractor

I have an idea for a diorama incorporating them both.. Note, the diorama will be set in a semi-desert, sandy terrain, hence the extensive weathering on the vehicles.

 




******************************************************
Musing in a hot bath the other day  a couple of good ideas came to me. It doesn't matter what they were, probably trivial, but significant for me.

I have noticed over the years that such ideas seem to flow like that when taking a bath, and of course one thinks of Archimedes.

Has anybody done any research on the physiological effects of relaxation, raising of body temperature and comfort of a hot bath? Does some of that improve the conductivity of synapses or have some other influence on other parts of the brain's mechanism?

Just a thought!

5 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber22 May 2023 at 12:13

    I always prefer a long soaking in the bath rather than the perfunctory shower, especially after a long day in the hills. I, like you, have no scientific evidence for the benefits, but I find a glass of whisky helps the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC - you are a laudable sybarite. As you say, It is "after a long day on the hills" that the pleasure of a good soak is enhanced to the maximum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bowlandclimber22 May 2023 at 20:45

    Have you the collection of mountaineering essays, 'The Games Climbers Play' Diadem. Edited Ken Wilson? A lovely essay by Iain Ogilvie, page 438, from SMC journal 1976 on the science of drinking whisky in the bath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your 'video consultation' proves fruitful. I've just suffered the opposite problem: a couple of weeks ago a doctor requested to see me urgently, and it needed to be face to face. I declined the 'urgent' part of the request as I was in Scotland at the time. Now that the appointment has been and gone, and I have no idea why it needed to be face-to-face. Nothing was said or done that couldn't have happened over the phone - and, but for that appointment, we could have stayed up in the Lakes for at least one extra day and come and seen you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle - I would have been worried about that but you seem to shrug it off without concern.

    ReplyDelete