For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 24 June 2023

No orchids but an Osprey

 Friday 23rd June 2023 - Arnside Knott and New Barnes.

My route today posed no logistical problems, I had no particular parameters to work within but on other occasions route planning can become more sophisticated. 

My good friends Mick and Gayle have recently been plotting many routes to train for their various long distance running events and we had some interesting exchanges in the comments on their latest post:


If you don't bother to look, but have some interest in how to get from A to B in the most efficient way here is my suggestion:

The Millennium Problems by Keith Devlin, especially from page 112 onwards: The Ambitious Traveling Salesman.

The book describes "the seven great unsolved mathematical puzzles of our time" for which the solving of qualifies for a large financial prize in the USA. The problems themselves are almost impossible even to define for the layman but Devlin has good crack at it and I found the book totally absorbing.

I don't think Devlin's travelling salesman stopped off to look for orchids in the Wild Flower Meadow, or for a pot of tea and jammy scone at Bob-In, nor is it likely that he made 643ft. of ascent in 3.5 miles.

I ascended Arnside Knott by the same route as my last post this time taking photos where there were framed glimpses of distant landscape through gaps in the trees until I reached the bench at the top. There I left Bowland Climber on my last post virtually wondering about his route of descent. He could have continued ahead to the top of the Heathwaite descent route but instead turn right to continue along through Arnside Knott Wood. A slight diversion takes one to an old bench overlooking Silverdale, Morecambe Bay to Morecambe, and way out to Heysham Power Station across vistas of swirling sandbanks, silvery and golden, and hidden channels and the possibility of seeing the incoming bore. That is one of MY three best views in my home locality. There is always a measure of anxiety as one approaches hoping that nobody has bagged the bench. There is now a second one close by that was installed in memory of his wife by an acquaintance and a good friend of my Thursday walking pal Pete.

Further on just before the long steep descent to New Barnes BC could have gone to look for orchids in the Wild flower Meadow on the left. Here I saw the Osprey in the sky aa it glided high above right across the bay. I fumbled with the camera and missed the opportunity to become famous in the Countryfile Calendar annual competition.

My descent continued to New Barnes. I met one of my daughter's friends running the other way reminding me of my own local running routes with some sadness, now impossible, one of which went all the way back up that steep ascent to the Wild Flower Meadow.

I know BC would likely have called into the Bob-In café which I did for a pleasant jammy scone and pot of tea.
CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE



The summit bench on The Knott where BC was virtually left on my last post wondering on his route of descent. Before the person in the distance appeared I saw what I thought was a deer but it then turned out to be her greyhound


Distant Heysham Power Station

Looking across to Grange over Sands from the toposcope

The balcony path leading to the top of Heathwaite

Good view to Grange



Panorama of one of my three best views. Photo doesn't do real justice

Is this an orchid?

Bob-In café




4 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber25 June 2023 at 08:10

    With you all the way there, enjoyed the jammy scone.
    The plant looks like a primula gone to seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC - I agree with your accuracy with "gone to seed" but I have always had a soft spot for the euphemistic "gone over."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was remiss of me not to comment on this sooner. Your reference to The Millennium Problems sent me off for a hunt around the internet to try to find a copy at a price I was willing to pay. At that time all copies I could find were too expensive (and no joy with our public library either), but another little look just now suggests that cheaper copies do come up every now and then. I shall get a copy in due course.

    I see you sampled the first half of the jammy scone for quality control before deeming it worthy of a blog photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete