For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 31 August 2023

Once in a blue moon

 Thursday 31st August 2023

I have been busy.

For a number of reasons I am putting my house on the market with a view to relocation, hopefully still in Arnside.

Since my last post I have made many trips to the recycling depot at Carnforth, many trips to  Bay Search asnd Rescue charity shop in Milnthorpe, and placed various items for sale on Facebook's Arnside Sell and Seek. I hate Facebook but if one needs to dispose of stuff it has to be embraced - the present generation use that tool almost exclusively to buy and sell and without using it you would have no chance. Despite me asking folk to phone me if interested they still use Messenger and other text type messages which I find difficult to monitor when they are buried in the infrastructure of Facebook.

I have shifted the main large items of Victorian furniture that had to go and this morning I've been hiding clutter in cupboards and drawers so that a deceptively clinically  stripped house interior can be photographed.

It seemed opportune that we should have a Blue Moon. Although this will be my ninth move since I was married in 1970 the last move was over twenty years ago. The photo below was taken last night.

Model making has had to be packed away fro the moment and walking has also been on hold. I am still awaiting further medical appointments as my breathlessness complaint still persists although no worse than it has been.


15 comments:

  1. I find that a sad post to read. But circumstances must. If you need any help with removals in the future I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC - assuming all goes to plan there will be some benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As BC, a sad post to read. We really do hope you gain some benefits. Very best wishes, and hope to see you soon.
    M&S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too dislike Facebook. I joined it (if that 's what one does) about ten years ago and was horrified by the stones it overturned - all those wriggly creatures suddenly exposed. Twenty minutes experience was enough and I closed it down as quickly as I could, though doing so was remarkably tortuous. However, more recently and under PB's tutelage, I used Facebook Marketplace to acquire the large garden pots (at very reasonable prices) which I've recently posted about. Even the social aspects of these transactions were quite enjoyable, as if the vendors weren't used to dealing with buyers behaving in a civilised fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I sold some large pieces of furniture from Facebook I have since had more pleasure and success putting smaller items at the top of my drive for sale. I have sold many items including the router we used to do your doors, the flexible drill on stand I bought in Hereford on one of my visits and never used, 2 x workmate benches, a pair of mountain boots that weighed nearly as much as my car, a box of assorted plumbing bits (not much more DIY envisaged for me, I'd rather pay somebody) an under-counter freezer, a tile cutting machine, a pair of proper running shoes (unused), and a box of bits of electrical cable, et al.
    The bench grinder you bought me stays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'vide grenier' vivre encore !

    ReplyDelete
  7. D'accord! But not sure which you are of two possibilities I am guessing at?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ce n'était pas moi.
    The French love their 'vide greniers'
    Every village has one every few weeks. My friends who still out there spend a lot of time picking up bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BC - Thanks for the contribution and elimination. It is not to your detriment that you were not one of my suspects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that your modelling workroom has been sacrificed, but happy to see* that the fruits of your previous modelling labours are on display in the study (where have all the books gone?). (*Yep, I am nosy enough to have looked on RightMove; I'm not sure if I should apologise for the intrusion.)

    Hope that all goes smoothly and that the view from your next house doesn't involve an inconvenient, and overly large, chimney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gayle - Hopefully modelling will be resumed. I have reatained two bookshelves of books. The rest went to the well known and old established Carnforth secondhand bookshop. The guy came and collected them. He proved to be an interesting conversationalist - we had many interests in common. He commented that we could have spent much longer yapping away; that in contrast with a dull chap he had just collected from who was"into railways." It seems my book man had been weighed down, figureatively and physically by this obsessive type: "those railway books, glossy, heavy." said with an air of almost despair and his doubts about their saleability..

    Don't worry about intrusion - it is all in the pblic domain. I am as nosey as anybody and so understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As others have said Conrad, a sad post. We hope your move goes smoothly and you’re out walking and back modelling again soon. Best wishes, G&L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Afoot - Thanks. I'm looking to getting back to my Porsche 911. It was nearly finished and shaping up to be my best presented effort so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My very best wishes for a smooth and stress-free house sale and subsequent move. I really hope you're able to stay in or around Arnside - the place wouldn't be the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous - Thanks for your comment. I'm nor sure if you are nameless by choice. If not "give us a clue."

    ReplyDelete