For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 7 August 2023

Porsche 911 Turbo (2)

 Monday 7th August 2023 - the tub

With the chassis and wheels now complete I am working on the interior tub and I have also sprayed the main body unit. With the latter patience is required to let paints throughly dry and cure between each step. That is something I struggle with being keen to enthusiastically proceed too soon.

The tub has received a coat of grey primer and the rear seats, which are integral in the tub extrusion have been spray painted. I had to mix two colours and they were gloss paints, but all will be matted down. An extremely faint application of light brown wash was also applied. I don't think the seat colour is precise to a Porsche issue but I wanted to create that light coloured, only suitable for the fastidious, real leather creamy tan colour often used by Rolls Royce and Bentley. When entering somebody's house it is polite etiquette to remove one's shoes - I'm not sure what the equivalent would be here to avoid marking this connoisseur's upholstery. The separate front seats have also been fettled.

The colour is named Italian Red. I suspect the use of Ferrari Red is copyright. The roof and bonnet are pretty good but I think I will polish them to bring in line with the marginally slightly better finish on the rest of the body. The whole will then receive a coat of gloss varnish. It seems a tad naughty to paint a German icon with an Italian colour but I am not a slave to exact historical representation, rather I enjoy using some imagination and making tweaks here and there. Would it be less naughty to paint an Italian icon with a German colour?

The rear seats were masked off (no photo.) That was a fiddly job, but satisfying when finally revealed as successful after removing after spraying black to the rest - see below.


To be continued.


2 comments:

  1. Proof that the 911 does have back seats even though they are a futile gesture. Not only for legless dwarves but it helps if the said passenger lacks a head. My family rented a 22-year-old 911 for me as an 80th birthday present but it couldn't be on the day; the rental company doesn't accept octogenarians as drivers. The Porsche had had a hard life and everything was sort of loose. It had a keyed engine switch-on (the ignition was separate) and the key was so loose in the socket that it failed to enable the engine at the Tesco filling station and we had to call in the AA. On an empty stretch of road I put my foot down and it was if the car and I were closely related; wheezily it clawed its way to about fifty as I might have done if asked to walk a little faster. Definitely a car that represented me. I trust the brake calipers of your model are painted red; that's a must with today's supercars.When the wheels are spinning it should also be possible to read the magic trade name - Brembo - on the calipers. One is dead without Brembo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RR - I have been reliably informed that the yellow carbon ones by Brembo outclass the bog-standard reds.

    ReplyDelete