For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 6 August 2023

Porsche 911 Turbo (1)

6th August 2023

I always intended to illustrate the making of one of my kits in detail from start to finish but kept forgetting to take photos as I progressed. Now I have made an effort and recorded this kit so far at least as this post will show. With all these models I do need to have some feeling for the subject and who, except perhaps Jeremy Clarkson, could resist the iconic 1988 Porsche 911 Turbo?

Box art with plastic model kits is usually of a very high standard and whilst this is ok it is not top notch.
This is a Tamiya kit; they are regarded as the best for  detail, quality of finish, and good fitting. There are not so many parts in this kit with suspension and the like moulded onto single units and so it lends itself to this project.
This and below shows what one gets in the box. The parts are attached to sprues and have to be removed with cutters and then have their attachment points cleaned off with knife or sanding.


This kit has three modules: chassis and wheels, interior tub, and the body, Here all the parts for the first module ready to be given a coat of grey primer.



Et voilà !

underside of chassis masked off for the parts to be painted black - most of the painting is done with my airbrush.

Black now painted. Masking removed. Underneath of engine hand painted in aluminium
.
Black now masked in preparation for other surfaces to be painted the Italian Red of the body colour

The red is also all over the masking - mo matter.




The chassis and wheels right way up. The wheels came in the kit ready chromed in garish fashion. That was removed using household bleach and the wheels painted with their alloy finish with a touch of gold to the spokes. Some of the red overspray can be seen but all the top side of the chassis is eventually unseen.

To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Work in progress - sorry to hold you up, but the cake was excellent.

    ReplyDelete