For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Plan B?

Last Thursday I caught the car door on my ankle causing a skin wound, yes, on the same leg as my proposed knee replacement a week tomorrow, Wednesday 29th November.

The nurse at my GPs yesterday described this as "a superficial skin flap." She has dressed it with a special concoction and told me to leave it alone until next Friday, and meanwhile told me to let the hospital know. There is a strong chance they may decline to operate. I have phoned them this morning and they are referring to the surgeon, so I am now awaiting their pronouncement.

-----------------------

Research now identifies the little hill I mentioned in my last post as Tarn Hill and not Hollow Stones. If you look at the map below you will see why I was mistaken.

There are two main sites that show the many lists of hills in the UK.

https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk

www.haroldstreet.org.uk
There are now over 60 different hill lists in the UK would you believe, with league tables of those who have made ascents and much other statistical information.

I was so excited to find that my little Tarn Hill is a TUMP (Thirty and Upward Metre Prominence)
It was even more exciting to find there are around 17,000 TUMPS. If you want to get a taste of how nerdy all this can become read about TUMPS from the extract in Hill Bagging below.

On the Harold Street site I have ticked off my Marilyns and my Munros and because most of these also qualify as TUMPS it seems that I have done 604 TUMPS putting me at 76th in the list. Top of the list is "rhw" with 11,323 ascents and the next nearest is miles away: Colin Crawford - 6489 ascents.

The Tumps (Thirty & Upward Metre Prominences) comprise all British hills with 30m or more of drop, with no minimum height. Thus it incorporates a number of other hill lists, and naturally owes its existence to many contributors over several years. With Alan Dawson - Simms, Michael Dewey - Deweys, David Purchase - Donald Deweys and Clem Clements/Tony Payne/Rob Woodall - Highland Fives comprising the portion of Tumps above 500 metres. Those Tumps below 500 metres comprise data originated independently by two people; Myrddyn Phillips - Y Pedwarau, The Fours and Y Trichant (400m Welsh, 400m English and 300m Welsh hills respectively) and Clem Clements - hills between 300 - 500 metres. The above listings paved the way for a complete listing of Tumps to be released by Mark Jackson in 2009, upon finishing three years of on and off research into the c.8,000 hills below 300 metres. This on and off research also duplicated parts of Myrddyn Phillips' Welsh P30 lists on the v-g.me website, and the original list of Tumps was subsequently revised using data from the sub hills incorporated in these same lists.

The Tumps comprise nearly 17,000 hills and have been greeted by a mixture of enthusiastic bagging and the feeling that this is all a bit much. Andrew Tibbetts maintained and improved the list and in December 2011 released an Excel file containing the 10,000-odd hills not present in the DoBIH. This file became the P30 Appendix to the DoBIH in May 2013. It went through two revisions before being brought into the DoBIH in version 14.    
https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/Tumps.php


Credit: https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk

My proposed route in blue.
 The pub by the church is the Punchbowl at Crosthwaite, one of the best eating pubs in our area.

10 comments:

  1. What, another injury. You shouldn’t be allowed out. Ha.👩‍⚕️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What terribly bad luck.
    My fingers are crossed for you.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life.
    I hope you gave your car door a good talking to.
    :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan R - I wasn't laughing! But I am now because I have just had a call from the hospital to say the surgeon has agreed to proceed providing the wound is not actually weeping when I turn up for surgery a week today.

    ------------------------

    John J - thanks for your sympathy in contrast with AlanR's callous laughter - (we know each other well enough to take that with a pinch of salt - oh, crikey, I've used a cliché)

    ------------------------

    Alan Sloman - I have in the past given both my knees a wigging. I think next time I need to go out I will take a taxi and leave the car on the Naughty Step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shin pads and carbon-fibre, if not Chobham armour, puttees de rigeur from NOW !

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best wishes are always with you Conrad. I would never consider bestowing pity, or a cold heart on those who are suffering. I wish you a speedy recovery but you can expect some more leg pulling along the way. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan R - Ha!

    Keep the puns coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it could be meaningful to send healing vibes over t'internet, that is what I would do. Fingers are metaphorically crossed that the wound is dry and in a good state by the middle of next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gayle - when needs must metaphysics takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will phone you with plan C.

    ReplyDelete