For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 24 April 2019

Day 1

24th  April - Arnside to Brewood

Yesterday  I decided to spray waterproof my rucksack. The spray wouldn’t work. I swapped the. nozzle for one on my WD40 then got them mixed up and sprayed my rucksack with the WD40 .After drying out on the line waterproof was then applied. Perhaps my rucksack will just dissolve in a couple of days time?

As is my careful won’t I arrived twenty minutes early for the 5:27 am train at Arnside station. I had chance to make new discoveries: Samaritans notices at the extreme ends of the platform, also a millennium plaque high up on the station building not  previously seen by me nor I guess by many others.

All trains on time. I rang from the train for a taxi from Trlford to Newport. I had immediate acceptance and assurance taxi would be waiting then a text giving me the taxi reg. no. And it's description, and the fare at £11 which was very reasonable. That saved me an hour for this longish day.

I had some good walking and quite a bit of agricultural stuff leading to minor navigation errors and slow going.

Elm Cottage Air B and B is super. Double tea and chocolate brownie on artival. I have a self contained flat in their attractive country residence set in two acres. They have given me a lift to the pub and will pick me up and have offered to make me a special beef sandwich for my onward journey tomorrow - super people - what more would you want?

I am not trying photos tonight - have taken quite a few. I may consider a good slideshow with captions wig
Hen I return.

I am not trying photos tonight but I have taken many. It may be better to do a de-luxe slideshow afterwards. I was caught in a thunderstorm a kilometre from destination and it has turned colder and quite hostile. I'm not so much looking forwards to camping in the pub garden tomorrow night after tonight's molly-coddling.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you back on the road again Conrad - I'm looking forward to following the rest of your adverntures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I had commentated last night but maybe gremlins in the system.
    Glad you survived the thunderstorm , it didn't make it up here.
    I will have to get the map out to follow your wanderings in unfamiliar areas.
    I also mentioned my dislike of being ferried [no matter howkind] to pubs in the evening. What if I don't like the place, it doesnt serve food, it is Karaoke night or I want to leave early... I would prefer to stay miserable in my B and B room with a sandwich and tely.
    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up again. I imagine your rucksack will be more waterproof with WD40 after all thats what it was made for. It works on shoes and boots too.

    ReplyDelete