For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 8 April 2011

Crail to 2km north of Leuchars(wild camp)

Last night I had a decent meal in The Golf Hotel in Crail and then had a comfortable night in my private garden camp site. A slight diversion was made this morning back to the Coop to buy breakfast and Fanta and shortbread biscuits for during the day.
Bright sunshine persisted all day, but also a gale force wind coming diagonally at me making for energy sapping walking.
This trip has swung from deprivation to riches in both the materialistic and aesthetic contexts. Today I have had splendid coastal scenery and three golf courses, the fial one being St Andrews. The previous two were Crail which has just built an imposing new glass fronted clubhouse that must have cost over a million pounds. The second one was Cambo Links where I sat and chatted to one of the greenkeepers. This is a championship "links" course which does not have members but one pays £125 per round and tbis is shortly to be increased to £160.
I wamted to get to the other side of St Andrews so I could finish the walk tomorrow so I aimed for Leuchars. Here there was no camping and nobody st home at the only b and b. I went into a butcher's shop and had my water bottles filled and then plodded on another couple of kilometers out of the village. I went to a farm to ask for camping permission but nobody was there so I pressed on up the road and eventually campwd in a field. Whilst in the middle of my repast i was visited by the farmer on his bike. He qas very pleasant and had no objection to my enxroachnment.

No comments:

Post a Comment