For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 17 August 2015

Canal du Midi - Day 8

I was glad to be off from the scruffy wild camp. At a out 11:00 pm a herd of bikes arrived in the dark and set up tents nearby which was a bit scary. I met one of the party this morning and they were Spanish. He told me they had had a fair bit to drink that night.

Yesterday I met a Dutch guy on a year's sabbatical from his job in Montreal. He has cycled in England as far as Robin Hood's Bay and through France pulling a massive trailer.

It has been hot again all day and many of the famous plain trees have been culled because of a disease, so long stretches without shade, but the scenery is getting better and better with distant views of Languedoc hills on one side, and the edge of the Pyrenees on the other.

At Homps I found an info. office with a very helpful guy who spent ages trying to overcome his own faulty phone system and finally using his own mobile. He booked me into a chambre d'hôtes in Argent Minervois. Sorry the chronology is overlapping here and there on these last three posts.

I couldn't arrive until 3:00pm and on this shorter day was able to have a proper lunch of modules et frîtes.

The digs are in a massive modern house in its own grounds with huge beautifully tended gardens. Everything is immaculate for 50 Euros B and B.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Hi Conrad,

    As I have mentioned we had 2 weeks very near to the lock at Homps. I borrowed a bike and cycled to Argent. Replicas from Homps you could buy a glass of rose for €1.50. They have done a good job of replacing the trees but it will be some years before they offer shade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welshpaddler - hi Bob. I stopped at the tourist info. at Homps and they were very helpful. It looks a good spot, but I had to march on being booked in a bit further on at Argens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least waiting in the sun is better than the wind and rain. Especially with an Ice Cream.

    ReplyDelete