For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 28 May 2018

Bronte Way 3

Saturday 26th May. Bronte Way, Day 3 - Near Haworth to Denholme Gate.

Using two cars has gone as far as practical we think. It was an hour and a half for me to drive to Denholme Gate then another half hour or so to our parking near Haworth in BC's car. Having said that we were off walking by 9:35 am.

A short climb took us onto the Bronte moors followed by a steep descent to the Bronte Waterfsalls. They were a bit of a disappointment despite a decent dose of rain the day before, but even with meagre water  it is a pleasant dell and potential picnic spot. Excellent, top of the world moorland walking followed. The GPX route I had downloaded did not go right into Haworth, but we did. Considering this was bank-holiday Saturday it was not badly overcrowded, and it was interesting to see again - my last visit must have been over forty years ago.

Descending from Haworth we came to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway terminus where a convenient bench above the track provided comfort for our lunch stop. The puffing steam train was arriving as we approached from above. Later we were treated to it moving out, fortunately with its smoke blowing in the opposite direction. BC seemed to be knowledgeable about these locomotives and was able to identify this black monster. Passengers disembarked and came past us apparently walking back to Haworth on the paths we had arrived on.

Approaching Oxenhope we missed a turn and continued high up Dark Lane before descending again to Lower Town, but it was worth it for a splendid view down to the valley. Out of Lower Town we had another diversion with minor roads that just didn't seem to correspond with our map, perhaps we were getting tired with the heat of the day? Back on track we passed to the west of Leeming reservoir, then to the east of Thornton Moor reservoir, and then a fairly stiff climb up to the spot height 361m. Here we had the most extensive view of the day's walk looking right back over the distance we had travelled, and we rested  and refreshed for the second time - it was a magic spot on this bright sunny day. Another kilometre on a decent lane had us back to my car at Denholme Gate. This had been a varied and attractive walk with good views and interest all the way.

CLICK MAP TO ENLARGE


CLICK HERE TO SEE SLIDESHOW IN DROPBOX
CLICK ON FIRST THUMBNAIL, THEN ON "FULL SCREEN" AT BOTTOM
TO SEE SLIDESHOW WITH BLACK BACKGROUND 

7 comments:

  1. Your knee is obviously performing well Conrad which must be heartening. A multiday trip on the cards soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No twin cars - there by train, then back there by bus then ? i suppose with a bus pass and rail card the cost and time taken might equate to the non-use of cars but I wonder.
    I've only been through Haworth once (by car) on a dreary dark winter's day - then it was easy to imagine the sister's withdrawal Some guides say do it the other way - your way , does the story rise towards the end - as the walk descends: in another life, I remember visiting some of those waymark inns with you and your Ford Pop !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'In need of modernisation'. Made me chuckle. This all looks terrific again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. afoot - Bronte Way 2 was actually two consecutive days walking which told me that I still have a way to go, but then I reckon I suffered mainly from tiredness due to an exceptionally hot day. I am working up to it - we shall see.
    --------------------------

    gimmer - We are planning the finale as a two day walk with b and b in between and using public transport, but the collapse of the rail system and not very encouraging weather forecasts have put a hold on things. We ware going to confer again next week. I think we are degenerating into a third world country what with transport and NHS having gone beyond the point of no control, and potholes all over our road network, which at best we seem only able to afford to fix as a temporary measure using the patch-up system which will lead back to square one next winter. I do not make those comments with any particular political bias, but one wonders with trepidation what the future will bring.

    We passed what used to be The Herders, sadly no longer a pub. How we survived those bibulous expeditions I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - All it needs is one of those TV programmes where they go in and do a comprehensive building re-construction, new kitchen, bathroom, garden et al on a modern semi IN THREE DAYS to include a hug array of equipment and systems for the disabled FOR FREE. But, you would need the background deserving case story to motivate Titmarsh or whoever to have a go - pity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really struggled to view the photos on this post. I finally got Dropbox to (sort of) cooperate on my phone, but couldn't entice it into giving me a full-size slide show. If only I'd thought of returning to this post when I'd had both wifi AND my laptop yesterday!

    The 'in need of modernisation' also made me smile. It's rare that Mick and I will pass a property in that sort of state without one of us commenting 'in need of renovation'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gayle - perhaps that could be your next investment property?

    ReplyDelete