For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 21 September 2019

Angles Way - Day 6

Saturday 21st September 2019. Be clues to Oulton Broad. 9 miles

Eggs Benedict and tea for breakfast for less than a fiver at Witherspoons this morning, and they serve from 7:00 am. The atmosphere was quiet and civilised contrasting with the cacophony during my earlier evening meal, but you know what you are going to get snd in a way it's quite invigorating hearing a lot of people enjoying themselves - from the noise they are not all glued to their phones.

The first sight of all the boats at Becvles  was welcome early this morning and for a short while i had splendid views of the River Waveney which leads to Oulton Broad, but then i hardly saw the river for the next eight mile trudge on a lumpy grass banking with reeds and trees obscuring the view - it was a bit disappointing because i thought i was going to be reacquainted with things Arthu Ransom but it was not so. much more relevant was his grave at Rudland church in the Lakes which I posted about on 5th April 2014. See the photo below that shows the long monotonous embankment trudge. I will be doing a proper slideshow with captions when I get back home . Putting photos on here presents similar difficulties I understand for amateurs making proper custard or baking soufflés - the success rate is low

Oulton Broad was busy, sunny and hot. I walked out through the park and had a fine view of an eclectic mix of yachts obviously in a handicap race. Two fireballs rounded a buoy close together - exciting. It brought back memories of the two years I spent racing our Metlin Rocket at Hollingworth Lake many years ago and a sadness at brother Nick's recent passing. I watched the road bridge being raised and two decent sized yachts came through to enter the lock. There were many onlookers, but from those memories of sailing with Nick I knew what was going on with obvious tensions of
squeezing the two boats in without causing damage as I watched the crews snd shore staff all scurrying snd worrying.




I am now in the Wolf Inn within a couple of hundred yards of aforementioned road bridge and lock.

2 comments:

  1. Though I cannot tell you why, I especially like the second image. Something about it makes me feel I am standing on the near bank, listening to birds overhear, enjoying a cool, mild, breeze against my skin.

    (Oh, good grief! That reads like a York peppermint pattie commercial from the late '70s.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Martha. The Norfolk Broads are an interconnected network of rivers and lakes (called locally broads) they are now used by pleasure craft with a strong dose of sailing. The scene you remarked on epitomises the river links and their atmosphere. Although not huge in width people sail extensively on them. Knowing you here for a linng time now I am not surprised that you sensed something special and that gladdens my heart.

    I am aware that the word broads has an entirely different meaning in the US.

    ReplyDelete