For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 12 September 2014

Day 10 - Sidmouth to Exemouth and Torquay - 12th Sept.

Breakfast at the Sidholme was sensational, a help yourself to almost anything you could think of with staff flying round clearing used plates all in this wonderful stately home setting with immaculately laid tables. It must be the event of the day for these mainly elderly people who seem to go there just to have somebody to talk to, but the ones I tried with had little to say and seemed to have just given up on life. The Christian connection was promoting friendliness, but I was saddened at lack of education leaving these people like empty shells in late life ( many of them a lot younger than me).

Some strenuous walking to start then easier stuff on good paths with stunning views made for excellent walking. I snacked at Budleigh Salterton. Why does food get served on top of the serviette thus soiling it before you can use it?

My previous walk to Rutland intended to connect with this one at Abbotsbury, but I had restarted at Poole and taken an extra day circumnavigating Portland so I was now behind schedule for a meeting with friends in the territory I was now entering. I decided to bail out from the SWCP at Exemouth instead of Torquay and take the train there. I arrived at Torquay at 5:30 and wandered aimlessly for a while until I was directed to the hub of b and bs. It took some time to find one with "vacancies". The Crimden Dene run by Margaret and John Grosse for the last fifteen years is fine - Falkland Road, Torquay, TQ2 5JP.

Not brought camera to pub so photos to follow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. It's like you say Dad - 'adventure happens to adventurers'! You have to get up and go out your front door and it just happens Failing that - open a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HH - 'tis true, but I think the original quote came from elsewhere much as I would wish to have coined it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HH - 'tis true, but I think the original quote came from elsewhere much as I would wish to have coined it.

    ReplyDelete