For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 1 May 2019

Day 8

Kilcot Inn. To Travelodge Gloucester

Wednesday 1st May 2019


A contrast from yesterday in two ways. Today I felt really fit and yesterday I was tired from start to finish - must be settling in now. Also today was nearly all on footpaths not roads. They were short sections giving variety and frequently changing interest. The difference being that I was mostly on the Three Choirs Way long distance path. Although it is hardly waymarked with their logo the standard footpath signs sufficed and the paths reasonably well maintained ( except for the stiles.).

A large field of wheat had not had a path made across its middle. To go round would have added half a mile, it was so huge.  A..n. other had obviously walked through recently and I followed. The only people I have spoken to all day was one farmer and another farmer with an immaculately maintained 1963 tractor. . Where is everybody? It is only by walking through these regions that you realise what huge expanses of unoccupied countryside we have. I walked fro 8:00am to 4:30pm without a stop for anything and felt quite fresh on arrival.

There was a cycle route that took me to within a few hundred yards of the Travelodge in Gloucester where I have just eaten - at least it will keep me going.

One luxury I allowed myself for this trip was an electric toothbrush. I bought a children’s lightweight model powered by one aaa battery. Changing the battery needs a micro screwdriver with a one mm. blade ( not supplied.) I attached o ne with Sellotape. Last night it fell off and vanished down the plug hole. That could have been total disaster but I couldn’t help enjoying the jolly tinkling noise as it went.

Tomorrow I will follow the Gloucester Sharpness canal. I have previously walked the Severn Way  the river following roughly the same line as the canal.






7 comments:

  1. That's a very pleasant day's walk.
    Super shot of the tractor and the colour-coordinated farmer, AlanR will be delighted!
    Travelodges are good, I've used them a couple of times now, in fact I'll be using one on next week's TGO Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ - especially the breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travelodges - nowadays I use them all the time when on business, after I was recommend the one in Hemel Hempstead by a client: i like them mainly for the 'Dreamer' beds - of which I have since bought two or three for home use - and the surprisingly spacious rooms. And, whilst not cheap, they are better value than their competition.
    But never the breakfasts - once they gave me the pre-packed version - a baleful exercise in synthetic inedibles and overpackaging.
    Like all chains, sometimes good, sometimes unbearable - usually down to the staff on duty, of course. Not quite sure if the style suits a walking or backpacking tour - something incongruous about that -
    I used to use the 'up-market' B&B's you favoured, but I too find their 'earliest breakfasts' 'under protest' at 0830 quite impractical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gimmer - on these trips you are glad to take anything that is available within reasonable radius of your day’s terminus. I too felt a bit out of place with the suits gazing out over the town from several floors up. I did notice also a sprinkling of hi-viz attire - workers perhaps on the way to clean and seal floors subsidised by their employees. This time I don’t seem
    To have found the b and bs you refer to - not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good utility machine. That one looks good. 45hp in a 3 cylinder engine. 2 wheel drive. They didn’t make these for long just 3 or 4 yrs. Enjoying your journey Conrad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guy was so pleased when I asked him to be in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Residing down the plug hole of Bertie's shower room sink is one of my earrings. Alas, it didn't make a jolly tinkling sound as it went.

    ReplyDelete