For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 2 May 2019

day 9

Thursday 2nd May - Gloucester to Shepherd’s Patch on Sharpness Gloucester Canal


Travelodge seem to have breakfast well sorted with an easy to use self service system saving a lot of pretentious messing about and long waits often experienced  with table service. They know their largely business customers need to be up and off in the morning and so do I.

All the way today on the canal with one café break. There was always something of interest to see. This is a huge canal built to bypass the dangerously tidal River Severn to get fairly
large vessels up to Gloucester.  There was a dreadful collision with two vessels and a bridge years ago on the Severn. - a horrific story that i commented on when walking the Severn Way in August 2013. I can’t find the link at the moment but it is worth reading about - will post later.

With this being a larger canal there is a wider variety of botats, nay, in some cases almost ships. The canal leisure narrow boats range from well kept, to those that are obviously “ it was a good idea at the time,”  I suspect many owners use their boats far less than their romanticc imaginations suggested at the time of acquisition. One such couple, I suspect, were sat at a nearby table in the café with a guy who was some kind of agent advising them on all aspects of a boat they were buying and he was doing a good sales pitch using the rechinque of painting pictures. At my next table  two thirty years old ladies were talking, well one of them was , endlessly. segueing between trivial subjects whilst her friend nodded and said “yes” and “ah.”

I arrived nostalgically at Shepherd’s Patch and looked across at the Black Barn café where I had poor service, if not rude service in 2013 - I didn’t risk a repeat -the Tudor Arms was only another fifty yards down the road




.

3 comments:

  1. What is that lovely flowering shrug in the last image? I thought at first glance it was oleander, but closer inspection said not.

    I continue to enjoy your posts, even though I don't always comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crow -I am no expert Martha, they just struck me and shouted out for a photo. I’m not sure what the grammatical description of that sentence would be - mixed metaphors? I will consult with my experts when i get back and can look at the photo on a decent sized screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My second sentence? Mixed metaphors will do. I wrote what came into my mind on the spur of the moment, and probably was distracted. Distractions come too easily to me lately. Third sentence? Can't say what went wrong with it, but it could have been written better, certainly.

    I'll check back in a few days to see what you've learned about the plant.

    ReplyDelete