For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 13 July 2018

Andy Goldsworthy - 1 ( Mountjoy)

Wednesday 11th July 2018

Andy Goldsworthy is an artist who refurbished, and or re-built, a number of sheepfolds scattered about the north a number of years ago ostensibly to produce a work of art - they seem to be referred to as "installations." I suggest Google if you want to learn more.

All this, having been brought to my attention by friends The Kendal Grufties who comment here, I decided to visit some of these forty five venues periodically, although I am not motivated to take this too seriously or urgently, so perhaps my visits will only appear from time to time.

1. Mountjoy Farm Folds - Underbarrow, nr. Kendal -  SD 459 933 and SD 459 935

Two folds in opposite corners of the same field. A feature common to some of these installations is a large boulder inside the installation, so I suspect these are new constructions built round the boulder rather than historic sheepfolds refurbished. It seems strange that there was only a stile entrance and no provision for sheep to enter?

On the way, rounding a bend, I was jolted by this blaze of colour and stopped the car in the middle of the road and snapped this through the windscreen

Number 1a.
A stone stile in the wall is located at the far corner where there are two lighter coloured stones on the wall.
That was the location from where the next photo is taken.

number 1b.

Looking back at 1a in context of the location

2a
N.b. only entrance is hardly suitable for sheep?






2 comments:

  1. kendal grufties13 July 2018 at 20:29

    Delighted that you scouted these out! I think even my weary knees could make it across one field, so will try and do that next time we are passing. I have heard rumours of "super sheep" who can roll across cattle grids, so perhaps they've evolved further super powers, or use pogo sticks - it would make counting them easier in any case...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally seek these out too Conrad, but I haven't visited these two.

    ReplyDelete