For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 27 July 2018

Day 3

Worsthorne to Whitworth SD 886 187

That was a really enjoyable Air band b last night.

Off to a good start good walking with extensive views . There must be loads of  good walks in these Lancashire hills and the attractive, stone built villages dating back to the Industrisl Re olution , but now mostly much prettified. I went in search of the Singing Kristi Whistling tree but never found it. Knowing it is perched on top of a hill it should have been easy but in the heat I gave it up as a bad job. I followed part of the Pennine Bridlesay on ancient tracks. I stopped at a cottage renovation asking for a refill of my water bottle. A young lad had been renovating this property for his sister for two years. He filled me up with delicious spring water.

I was getting tired and moving slowly until I came across a café in  Stacksteads - one mug of tea, a visit to the toilet and quite a long rest had me like a new man, BUT...

A steep, pathless grass climb took me up to the unnamed moor showing a footpath bee lining for Whitworrh across Briannia Quarries. From here on an enjoyable day’s walking turned into a minor epic. The footpath, very indistinct, took me to the edge of the quarry marked on the map. The quarry is still being worked. I have since learned the footpath is closed whatever that means The path disappeared. I spent ages trying to find the  track leafing leading down to the reservoir and into Whtiworth but I was stalled by up and down  spoil heaps, tracks—and barbed wire fences - I actually cut some barbed wire going across the top of a gate. After much deliberation i had included some recently purchased wire cutters in my kit. I was eventually forced onnto the quarry access road. At least that would get me out to Whitworth...BUT after half a mile massive locked gates prevented me.I squeezed through some other fencing to gain access to an encampment for quarry workers and got the help of a young quarry guy who told me of a bent hole in the galavsnised fencing so off I went - there was no way I could get through. I went back and Young Man produced keys and unlocked the gates. I was now running late for my Air B and B but eventually got there hot and bothered. I then had limited time to shower, rinse through very sweaty clothing, and generally re-group. My hostess inferred the Red Lion was in z"walking distance..  I phoned them and was only able to book for 7:45 so off I set leaving some of my chores undone. It turned out to be over s mile's walk! I was bushed again when i arrived, just in time. I managed to knock over my first pint, due to fatigue and a sweet covered body. I didn't feel hungry despot having Estonia nothin midday, snd most un characteristically for me , had to leave an enjoyable smoked salmon and hot new potatoes salad - I just couldn't eat any more.

I ordered a taxi to get mr bsck to b snd b.

6 comments:

  1. I have spent ages typing that post and couldn't get in there to correct and add. Doing these posts on th iPad is very hard work, but that is the way i want to present my walk snd so I battle on. Photos tomorrow, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time i try to do anything Google makes me log in with email and password - it's unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as such trials serve to make a day memorable (except the technological ones - they're just annoying) I hope that today goes more smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayl- it wasn't too bad but what frustrates is arriving so late you don't have time to. Do all the chores and time just runs out. I suppose I make it hard for myself blogging on the go - it foes take a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame you didn't find the Singing Ringing Tree, it's well worth a visit. Just catching up, having been away.

    ReplyDelete