For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - north of Aberadon to Morfa Nefyn

Tuesday 3rd May - day 14
Last night's meal with the family was enjoyable. The father had let out the land and has a business repairing machinery. The young girl had been to Bangor Uni and is teaching at a secondary school in Pwlleli. The conversation was free flowing. I had a bit of difficulty with the Welsh accent and I suppose they had the same with me. I hadn't realised until this trip how much Welsh is almost always the first language- that is what most people speak amongst themselves, and I think it is quite late in school before they start to learn English. This morning I was given a coffee before I departed. I must say that the Welsh peopl I have met on this trip have been generous, interesting to talk to, and willing to be helpful. So far I have not had a wrong word even though I have been inadvertently trespassing a couple of times.
The highlight of today was to be Whistling Sands. This is a beach where the sand is supposed to make strange noises when you walk on it. It failed to perform for me. I found myself trying to use all kinds of different walking techniques but to no avail- furthermore by diverting onto the beach I missed a sign for the Coastal Path and a bit later on found myself in a field enclosed by barbed wire with a bull which fortunately seemed to be in a lethargic mood. I managed to extricate myself without ripping any nf my very expensive, lightweight outdoor clothing.
At the end of today there was a peninsula projecting a kilometre from the coast which looked like an exciting place to visit on the nap. This actually turned out to be a golf course. At least I bagged a photo for my "signs" collection that said "Watch Out Golfers Playing Look Right" - presumably some new kind of ancillary game to golf?
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. This is a great series of posts, Sir Hugh. Like others, I've had great fun decoding the texts.

    "Watch Out - Golfers Playing. Look Right" (my punctuation) is obviously some sort of sartorial instruction :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helo, I'm glad that you enjoyed your meal. It was nice to have you with us - interesting conversation about your journies and art work. Our campsite that you stayd in was Cyndyn - Bryn Mawr is next door! Take care on the rest of the journey and take care. If you are ever in the aeria again, call in with us.

    ReplyDelete