For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - Skenfrith to Newland

Tuesday 24th May - day 35
I was dropped off at 7:45 at The Inn at Skenfrith. I am finding it takes me an hour to get all my joints working properly and to get into a good stride. I have now got a bad ankle which feels as though it has been sprained although I have no recollection of that happening. I have put a support bandage on which is helping. Things certainly ain't what they used to be. Once I got going I moved quickly and had no problems with various footpaths.
On my LEJOG walk I had a bad time route finding in Highmeadow Woods south of Symonds Yat and this time I gwas determined not to have a repeat performance so I made full use of compass, map and gps and came through with no problem but it is still a difficult area for navigation.
I was aiming for Cherry Orchard Farm at Newland, a CandC Club listed site. On arrival this also turned out to be a super b and b in a large old farmhouse with spacious rooms and all very tastefully appointed. Lyn and Jim Blanch were really welcoming and I have booked in for b and b. This site is right on the edge of my printed out map and so I was unaware that there is also a pub (The Ostrich, Walden) within ten minutes walk where I can eat this evening ( I really should have noticed and included the pub when plotting the route).
The Ostrich is a real find. Old world pub atmosphere, good food,comfortably warm, tables and seats at right heights for eating, a big selection of real ales, background music but it's good jazz. I have just had:Spiced belly pork terrine set with apple and sage jelly and crusty stone baked bread, then smoked haddock baked in cream, egg and horseradish topped with dauphinoise and mozzarella cheese, and now pear and stem ginger frangipan tart with ginger wine cream.
Who says I'm going soft.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment