For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 21 June 2014

Garthorpe to Scotter/Blyton

Despite the pics on my last post there was no ménage-a-trois last night.

Departed in baking sunshine even at 8:30 am. Met a guy called Des on the Trent embankment with two dogs. He was a rock climber and outdoor enthusiast. He lived in Amcotts on my route and we walked the half mile back to his house where he took me in for (yes Gayle ) tea. Also biscuits and much like minded chat, then his wife arrived and offered me all sorts to carry - I would have been a walking village shop, but I ended up with apricot and and banana. These are the events that make these trips worthwhile and memorable. I plodded on mainly on roads ( I don't think this would be a trip for you Gayle). I thought I could walk on the elevated river banks, but although grass had been cut it was still hard going.

At Althorpe Station I crossed the Trent and went into a very Yorkshire tap roomy pub and had all the usual backchat with the few local football fanatics, and I dared to order tea and a bacon sandwich, and then a second cup of tea. I was able to revert to my inherent Yorkshire accent which helped to make things flow a bit. Half an hour later Des from tea at Amcott stopped alongside in his car on the way to work and wished me well again.

Further on at Susworth well down the eastern side of the Trent I was very hot and sweaty, and I called at another pub for a pint of orange and lemonade. I was carrying drinks, but there is nothing like having a full scale glug at a full pint without having to think about saving some for later. Back outside and just round the corner a guy was repairing his roof and asked me what I was about. Again he wanted to invite me in for tea, but time was pressing and I needed to get to Scotter in time to find accommodation - he made do with shaking my hand, but so far kindness and generosity is proving similar to my walk round Wales.

At Scotter Ivy House B and B was full. The lady made many telephone calls for me establishing the same story and things were not looking good, then the lady had inspiration and found me a pine lodge b and b at Blyton Ponds about five miles to the south, then drove me there. When I offered her something in return she said it would go to a charity. There is a massive contrast between facing a bleak accommodation situation, and just a few minutes later finding youself in a comfortable room and luxury for the evening.

Blyton Ponds is a static caravan, fishery, holiday complex privately owned by a very enterprising lady. She was providing a chicken roast dinner for three other residents, but said she would make it stretch to me as well - ever more kindness and help. I had arrived at 5:10 and the meal was at 5:30. I have just returned to my lodge after the excellent meal and there is a bath in the en-suite so that's where I'm heading now.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you seem to be falling on your feet with almost monotonous regularity on this walk!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's experience JJ. When you get past seventy you'll find out - something to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a quick count up I make that four offers of tea in four days (albeit one was politely declined). Incredible! I'll be *really* impressed if you keep up that tea-offers-per-day ratio.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle - perhaps you could start a graph?

    ReplyDelete