For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 26 June 2014

Woodhall Spar to Bardney

An easy walk today following a previously trodden route from my Broads to The Lakes walk in 2009. That was not particularly on my mind until halfway up a quarter mile farm track a terrier dog appeared from the midway farmhouse and it was alarmingly aggressive, and then I remembered almost the same incident before, but different dogs that time. I say dogs because the terrier was joined by a Dalmatian and they both continued to harass me for a hundred yards or so. Last time I was actually bitten, and I think I was lucky to evade that today. I favour dogs and like to think I can handle them, but that was not the case today.

At the end of the track was the farm proper, but the footpath was almost hidden and I had to ask some illegal immigrant looking Chinese type workers. They summoned the aged farmer. His short path through the farm was overgrown, and there was a revolting slurry lake. All the signs were of a badly, if not semi-illegal, not moved with the times, decadent farm. I often wonder how they make a living.

I had intended to press on to Short Ferry where I camped before, but this involves going off route and back next morning. At Bardney about 1:00 pm I went to the Co-op. Their shelf of sandwiches was empty. The lady told me about the butcher a hundred yards up the road. I had a freshly made ham salad in a baguette that was as French-fresh as could have been in France. The lady also told me about The Black Horse across the road. This is like a pub converted into a bed and breakfast, the main indicator being an absence of any draught beer, but bottled Black Sheep was fine. I booked in and have just eaten a splendid meal. Evening meals are only provided for residents, and the menu as far as I understood is limited, but freshly prepared. I had a cream cheese roulade and walnut starter, then baked cod with an impressive array of perfectly cooked vegetables, and a comprehensive fruit salad, and a cafetière of excellent strong black coffee to finish.

The distance from Bardney to Lincoln for tomorrow is similar to that from Short Ferry and my memories of the latter are, although not specific, unfavourable, so this has been a good choice.

Logistics for shops and accommodation after Lincoln look challenging - we shall see.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. As you know, logistics and planning are my favourite pastimes when not walking, so if you don't want to play it by ear, then give me a shout and I'd be pleased to do some research for you (although that would, of course, involve you having to disclose where you're going!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle - thanks. I don't mind revealing now what was the first stage of a massive plan. My immediate destination is to finish The Viking Way (Oakham/Rutland). That will involve five more days from Lincoln where I will arrive tomorrow (Friday). If my knees get me there I will probably return home. I'm fed up with blogging about the knees - it's boring, but they are dodgy and so throw some doubt on things.

    Lincoln to Wellingore

    Wellingore to Marston ( I think there is a posh hotel near M)

    Marston to Woolthorpe

    Woolthorpe to Sewstern

    Sewstern to Oakham

    The main thing is to know if there are pubs, or a shop in those destinations where I can get some kind of a meal.

    B and B would be of interest also.

    If there is food I reckon I can always blag a safe camping site if there is not an established one.

    Please don't feel under an obligation. I will always manage as I have done before., but anything you can glean would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to rest a sore foot at the moment, which gives me even more free hours in my day, so will have plenty of time for research in the morning. I'll let you know what I find...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This repressive government will be pleased. Illegal immigrants can, apparently, be quickly identified because they look "illegal". I admire your perspicacity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have an email from me. Let me know if it didn't arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is pepper spray legal in the UK? Works wonders on aggressive dogs when a stout bat is unavailable. Thorns are another matter, but I suspect there is no salve or set of tweezers that would provide relief from RR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is illegal to own pepper spray in the UK as it is classified as an offensive weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RR - well, I suppose I should be grateful for a backhanded compliment, not being able to remember ever having a genuine one.

    I have no issue with the immigrants, it's the farmer and the likeliehood of him employing people on unrealistic pay that wrankles. My wording indicated that my thoughts were only surmise, and I was feeling sore about the dog thing after all the fuss they make about other people and their dogs.

    Worry not. I have no intention of reporting the workers.
    ---------------------

    Mike M and Afoot - you seem to have sorted that between you, but, mik M, I didn't get your reference Thorns.

    ReplyDelete