For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 20 June 2014

Howden to Garthorpe SE 854 190

A hot day largely on roads. I thought I was going to be able to walk the leve from Goole, but it was hopelessly overgrown. I was heading for this village where there is a pub but internet searching led me to believe it had closed so I stocked up with sandwich making food in Goole.

In the later afternoon I was plodding in baking sunshine down a long featureless road looking for somewhere to stop and lunch. A track led off on a sharp bend and it turned out to be RSPB Blactoft Sands. There were picnic tables in the shade - that is like winning the lottery on a trip like this.

The pub was closed and I had nowhere to stay. A local lady was very kind and told me about Rob the bus driver who was due in five minutes, and who also had a caravan site down the road. Rob arrived and gave me a lift to his fabulous site with his own built version of Fountains Abbey ( he had been a stone mason/builder). Despite needing to rush off for an appointment, which he phoned to reschedule for my sake, he made me tea (yes another cup of tea Gayle) and a very friendly welcome, and then went off leaving me the sole occupant of the site. There is a retired touring caravan next to my tent full of tourist info. And providing a comfortable sitting room - what luxury. On entering the caravan I got a great shock seeing a very attractive female standing inside the door, and another down the van with legs crossed up in the seat in a very appealing pose. They turned out to be shop window manikins!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I love that you always seem to nudge people's good will!
    You will be pleased to know that you missed an emergency trip to Ikea today - what great timing Dad! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. HHS - I think Gayle next door would be on my side there.

    ReplyDelete