For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Goulceby to Woodhall Spa

This morning I was given a good breakfast by my B and B lady. Her husband apparently works a night shift and was expected home later in the morning. Mrs was rushing off on some errand and left me to finish breakfast alone in the house and to vacate without locking any doors. Goulceby is a posh pretty village with apparently trusting residents.

Pleasant walking mainly on well maintained footpaths and a few crop fields brought me to Horncastle around midday. I half decided to stay there. Woodhall Spa was another six miles. The café, a bacon bap, double tea and toasted Lincolnshire fruit cake put me in the mood to go for it. It was a toil nearly all the way on a loosely surfaced ex railway track, but the last mile through Woodhall Spa golf course ( "the home of English golf") was more interesting. I think you'd need a few bucks to play round there. There were not many players evident, but the course looked immaculate.

I have booked in at another B and B and am eating in The Lancaster, a so called brasserie. The name and interior decor confirm a connection with The Dam Busters, photos etc. When I asked the bar staff exactly what that connection was they had no idea, not even heard of a The Dam Busters, went off to consult management and came back to say nobody knew! So much for "we will never forget them". When I ordered I asked if the chicken dish was on the bone, they said no. Part of it was. The food was good including a surprise amuse bouche in consideration of time taken to cook the main. I reckon the chef here is the only one who is competent. Shame.

I passed on my comments to the manager before leaving.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. which is, of course, why history repeats itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Gimmer's comments.
    Sad, shocking and worrying - in equal measure.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Dam Buster squadron operated out of Woodhall Spa for a brief period (The Petwood Hotel was requisitioned by the RAF).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gimmer - d'ccord.

    JJ - even now, 24 hours later I still find this disturbing. See my next comment.

    Ruth - pleased to hear from you again. I found out much more about the local connection since, including visiting the Dam Busters memorial this morning. All this area is steeped in that relevant history, and as always, I am emotionally overwhelmed by the scale and sacrifice of WW2. Even as I type I feel inadequate in expression of my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gimmer - Correction: d'accord

    ReplyDelete
  6. just in time
    sorry to hear about the knees - will speak 'later'

    ReplyDelete