For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 22 June 2014

Scotter to Caistor

Forgot to mention last night, and just to keep my record straight, the lady at the full up b & b who was so helpful, brought me a glass of water and asked me if I wanted to use the toilet before embarking on her task of finding me somewhere to stay.

More mixed road and bucolic paths. Lincolnshire Council seem to have their footpaths organised - wide swathes cut through crop fields making for easy going, except for one. That was about quarter of a mile of knee high jungle.

Everybody had assured me there would be no problem with accommodation at The White Hart in Caister. On arrival I was told they were having all their rooms refurbished. In view of that I thought the likeliehood of a room at a b & b just across the road would be remote, but I was in luck. A warm welcome and a huge room with a bath in the en suite. I spent about twenty minutes trying to remove all the grass seeds from my socks before washing them but I fear it was not a comprehensive job and I will buy a new pair at the first chance, but looking at my route that may not happen soon.

Having arrived at Caister I now intend to follow The Viking Way south. I did part of it on my Broads to The a Lakes walk a few years ago including the bit north from here to the Humber Bridge, hence my strange route engineered to avoid repeating that. I will still be repeating tomorrow but it is a special section traversing part of the Lincolnshire Wolds, AND INCLUDING A MARILYN!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. I remember, vaguely, why Marilyns are called such (because they aren't Munroes), but - and I am being genuine in asking (not trying to be funny, that is) - are Marilyns larger, or have two summits, or something like that? For that matter, why are Munroes named such?

    If you've answered this before, just point me to the appropriate post, rather than spend time writing all that again.

    You are having rather very good luck on this walk, regarding kindness and friendliness, at least. I hope that continues to be your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crow - hi Martha. Sir Hugh Munro, a member of the prestigious and upper class Scottish Mountaineering Club (SMC) listed the 284 peaks in Scotland over 3000ft. That was somewhere around the 1900s.

    Marilyns is a modern list of all the peaks in Great Britain which have a drop of 500ft minimum all the way round the summit. There are around 2000 of them. They are so called because of the pun between Munro and Monroe, and secondly perhaps for we naughties the similarity between the shape of many of them and certain renowned physical features of Marilyn.

    Many of the Marilyns are small and insignificant, but visiting them often leads to interesting places that you would not otherwise have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Conrad

    Of course the SMC is no longer upper class but welcomes all climbers who have the necessary experience and can climb to a minimum standard (used to be at least Severe on rock and Grade 4 winter but don't know what it is now)

    Munro's Tables was published by the SMC in 1891 and Lynne and I had great pleasure in attending the Centenary Dinner in November 1991 having just 'compleated' in June of that year. What a wonderful night that was!

    I'm thoroughly enjoying catching up with you on your latest jaunt having been on holiday in the Highlands for a month - without wi-fi for much of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! not a sock problem again!

    ReplyDelete