For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 17 June 2010

Day 5 Cromer to Stiff Key

Wed 16th June

Not far out of Cromer I encountered the first hill on this trip - a bit of a shock.

Sherringham has a long and impressive promenade with beach huts. I stopped to congratulate the street cleaner guy on the prom's spotlessness. He said he was waiting for the tide to go out so that he could do the beach. He had seen a dead seal that was going to be left by the tide and he would have to deal with it - not your average street cleaner's job.

Out of Sherringham watching the golfers on their posh course to my left with skylarks singing, and on my right waves crashing and black headed gulls, and the wind at my back. It was a grand morning.

The path developed into a dyke sea defence giving splendid views. Approaching Cley Beach I saw an informal car park and jokingly asked a passer by where the ice cream van was. He pointed out an insignificant little van which turned out to be selling coffee. The van was all set up with a machine in the back and coffee was excellent. I stayed a while and munched my cheese and biscuits.

More idylic walking with abundant bird life. I saw and heard reed warblers, and then half a dozen avocets.

I camped at Stiff Key (pronounced stooky locally) a pleasant site and ate in the local pub.

Still only two stiles so far.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: